Adults Needed for Food Intake and Appetite Study!
Researchers in the Division of Endocrinology and Department of Neurology at Indiana University School of Medicine are seeking adults to take part in a study to understand the effect of an investigational drug compared to an FDA-approved weight loss drug (Saxenda) on food intake, appetite, and the brain response to pictures of food.
This study is interested in understanding if a weight loss drug, tirzepatide, changes the amount of food you eat and if taking tirzepatide changes how your brain responds to pictures of food.
- Who is Eligible
- Adults ages 18-65
- Overweight or obese (BMI of 27 to 50) (calculate your BMI here)
- If female, must not be pregnant or breast-feeding
No diagnosis of any form of diabetes prior to entry
No history of bariatric surgery
No current or prior use of weight loss medication
No blood donation in past 3 months
- Must be able to complete MRI scans (no claustrophobia, no contraindications such as cardiac pacemakers, aneurysm clips, or other metallic implants considered unsafe for MRI scanning)
- Must be willing to travel to Indianapolis for in-person study visits (can go to Purdue University for some visits)
What is Involved:
- Participation in this study involves 13 study visits and will last approximately 2 months. The visits will be at IU Health in Indianapolis, IN or Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN.
- During this study you may receive the investigational drug we are testing, or a placebo (no medication) or a different FDA approved weight loss drug, liraglutide (saxenda).
- The group you are assigned to will be random (by chance), and if you are assigned to the group that takes tirzepatide or placebo, you will not know which group you have been assigned to.
- We will be looking at your brain’s response to pictures of different foods, using a magnetic resonance imaging machine (MRI). It would only be on three separate, full day study visits where we use the MRI.
- You will also have various physical exams, blood draws, be asked to eat meals, and complete health and food questionnaires.
If you qualify through the study's phone screen, we would schedule you to come for a further screening in person. If you qualify at that point and agree to participate, you will be enrolled in the study.
- You will be compensated for your time and will receive up to $1,285 for completing all of the study requirements. All study medication and procedures are provided at no cost to you.
How to Participate
**IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN THIS STUDY, please submit your contact information using the provided form or contact the Clinical Researcher for the official study phone screening.
**For any questions about this study, please contact the Clinical Researcher at (317) 278-1714
Study Title: Effect of Tirzepatide on Energy Intake and Appetite- and Reward-Related Brain Areas in Overweight/Obese Subjects
- IRB Number: 13443
- Research Study Identifier: TX11446
- Principal Investigator: Robert Considine
Contact the research team to learn more about this study.
Fields marked with asterisk (*) are required