Healthy Volunteers Needed for Sparkling Water Study!
WANT TO REDUCE YOUR SODA CONSUMPTION? Join our study!
The Saliva, Perception, Ingestion, and Tongues (SPIT) Lab, in the Department of Nutrition Science at Purdue University, is looking for healthy volunteers to take part in a study to learn more about how people’s perception of sweetness changes if some or all of their sugary soda is replaced with unsweetened, flavored sparkling water.
Participants will be given flavored, unsweetened sparkling waters to drink for 2 weeks. During those weeks, they will have 3 taste tests with some sodas and sparkling water products. Participants will be asked questions about their beverage consumption.
ALL STUDY TASKS CAN BE COMPLETED ONLINE AND AT HOME - no in-person visits are required.
*While participating in this study, you will not be able to participant in any other food-based research studies.
Who is Eligible
- Adults 18-45 years of age
- Consume a minimum amount of sugar-sweetened sodas on a regular basis
- Be willing to drink unsweetened, flavored sparkling waters
- Must not be dieting/changing your diet, and agree to maintain your current diet for at least days 1-15 of the study
- Must not be under the care of a medical professional or taking medication for pre-diabetes, type 1 diabetes, or type 2 diabetes
- No food allergies or dietary restrictions for any of the ingredients included in the study
- Have access to a computer, phone, or smart device with internet to access the online sensory tests and survey
What is Involved
If you are eligible and choose to participate, you will be randomly assigned, like the flip of a coin, to 1 of 2 groups:
Group 1) You will either replace one of your daily sugary sodas with the water
Group 2) You will replace all of the soda you would typically drink with the water
- The study will provide you with unsweetened flavored, sparkling water for a total of 14 days, and you will replace some or all of your daily sugary soda consumption with this water.
- Attend 3 online study visits to taste and rate the sweetness of some soda samples (a researcher will meet you either online or in-person for each sensory test in order to provide instructions)
- Complete 1 online survey
- Total study participation lasts approximately 4 weeks
*All study materials, including all the water you need for the replacement period, as well as kits for the taste tests, will be provided at no cost to you.
- Participants will receive up to $30 in Amazon gift cards for completing all of the study requirements
How to Participate
**IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN THIS STUDY, PLEASE CLICK HERE TO TAKE OUR SCREENING SURVEY
**You may also reach out to the study team directly by contacting Vinnie at email@example.com
Principal Investigator Dr. Cordelia Running faculty page:
The Saliva, Perception, Ingestion, and Tongues (SPIT) Lab: https://www.spitlab.org/
- IRB Number: IRB-2022-164
- Research Study Identifier: TX11534
- Principal Investigator: Cordelia Running
Contact the research team to learn more about this study.
Fields marked with asterisk (*) are required