CALLING ALL FOOTBALL FANS!!!
The purpose of this study is to examine the relationship among personality, mood, and reactions to different drinks and sports video clips. You will be randomized to either an alcohol consumption condition or a non-alcohol beverage consumption condition. You have 50% chance of drinking alcohol: We will tell you which group you were in upon study completion.
If you agree to be in the study, you will complete one laboratory session lasting up to 3.5 hours.
You will do the following things:
1. You will complete a urine drug screen, pregnancy test (female only), and breath alcohol measurement. If all tests are negative, you will be eligible to continue with the study. We measure your weight. If you drive to the session, we will hold your keys during the course of the session.
2. You will fill out several questionnaires about your alcohol use, emotions, and personality. You will also complete computer tasks. You will be paid for your performance on the computer task, usually ranging from $5.00 - $15.00 on average.
3. You will be randomly assigned to either receive alcohol or a non-alcoholic beverage in the session. We will tell you which session you are in at the end of the study tasks.
4. You will be asked to watch a sports video clip (approximately 30-minutes in duration). During this time, you will be provided with an alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage, which you will be asked to completely consume during the video. You will receive the equivalent to about 1-3 drinks of your most frequently consumed alcoholic beverages.
5. If you are assigned to the non-alcoholic beverage consumption condition, you will be dismissed following the end of the study tasks. If you are assigned to the alcohol consumption condition, we will monitor your alcohol level until it reaches or falls below 0.02, which may take up to 2.5 hours. When you reach this level, you will be dismissed. You will be provided movies and snacks during the sobering-up period.
If you receive alcohol, your session will last approximately 3.5 hours and you would receive $35 for your participation. If you do not receive alcohol, your session will last approximately 1.5 hours and you would receive $15 for your participation. Additionally, all participants have the chance to earn up to an additional $15 based on your performance in a computerized task during the session.
- IRB Number: 1703847724
- Research Study Identifier: TX7710
- Principal Investigator: Melissa Cyders, PhD
Contact the research team to learn more about this study.
Fields marked with asterisk (*) are required